Apple has made multitasking — launching and utilizing two or extra apps concurrently — a lot simpler in iPadOS 15 than in iPadOS 13 or 14. Whereas some options stay pretty complicated, multitasking is simpler to navigate within the new OS. Whereas within the earlier model, you wanted to be taught a collection of gestures to efficiently multitask, with the brand new model, Apple has made multitasking simpler and fewer intimidating. It nonetheless takes apply and a few getting used to, however at the very least it’s simpler to seek out and get began.
If you’re utilizing an iPad fifth technology or later, an iPad Mini 4th or fifth technology, an iPad Air 2 and later, or any iPad Professional, you may run iPadOS 15 and leverage the brand new multitasking options. We present you the best way to make the key options work.
In iPadOS 15, it’s simple to identify the three-dot multitasking button on the high of apps that assist the function. Not each app helps multitasking, and the presence or absence of that button is a significant visible information. If that menu is current — accessible in each horizontal or vertical iPad positions — it’s the gateway to and from numerous multitasking choices. In earlier variations, your decisions for a second app have been confined to the contents of your Dock on the backside of the display. The great half in regards to the new model is which you can choose any app you need out of your Residence screens, App Library, or the Dock, so long as they assist the function. There are six main elements, as listed under.
Break up View (center icon): This divides the iPad display into halves. You should utilize two completely different or comparable app home windows collectively. You possibly can readjust how a lot display area every app occupies by dragging the center black bar to the left or proper. You possibly can even open two pages of the identical app if it helps a number of home windows. If the app doesn’t assist a number of home windows, an alert will let you know.
Slide Over (proper icon): Whereas one app stays in full-screen view, a second window seems on high of it. You possibly can slide it in or out or from one facet to the opposite. You too can stack a number of apps into Slide Over.
Heart window: This can be a fast preview window that’s centered on the display and covers all the opposite open home windows, forcing you to focus. This function is just supported in Notes, Mail, and Messages, and the icon for it solely exhibits up when the function is lively.
Shelf: In iPadOS 15, a multi-window shelf traces up all open home windows of a single app on the backside of the web page so you may change, shut, or open a tab with a single faucet. This function is nice for apps that assist a number of home windows.
App Switcher: The App Switcher is extra highly effective in iPadOS 15 than in earlier variations, letting you view all Slide Over app icons on the similar time.
Image in Image (PiP): PiP mode, which existed in earlier variations, allows you to watch movies in a floating window above different apps or websites.
A Multitasking fundamental menu has been added in iPadOS 15 to make the options extra handy and discoverable — reliant on easy faucets moderately than extra complicated gesture combos. Proper from any supporting app, the three-dot multitasking menu opens as much as Full Web page, Break up View, and Slide Over. When you acquired used to the gesture-based multitasking in iPadOS 14, no worries. You possibly can nonetheless use gestures for those who favor. Apple simply added extra methods to perform multitasking with out eradicating any of the acquainted strikes.
Break up View allows you to see two apps without delay, and interoperate between them. You possibly can faucet and maintain to repeat photos and textual content from one app to the opposite in Break up View. Right here’s the best way to get began.
- Launch an app.
- Faucet the three-dot Multitasking button.
- Faucet the Break up View button. The present app strikes apart and your Residence Display screen seems.
- Faucet a second app in your Residence Display screen. (Swipe left or proper to see apps in your different Residence Display screen pages. You too can faucet an app in your Dock.)
- When you selected Break up View, the second app seems side-by-side with the present app on an evenly divided display.
To shut Break up View, faucet the three-dot Multitasking icon on the app’s high and choose the Full Display screen icon on the left, or faucet and drag the app divider over the app you wish to shut.
Slide Over allows you to shortly alternate between open apps as one serves as a fundamental open window and the others alternate on high of it. Right here’s the best way to invoke it.
- Open the app you wish to seem in a floating window.
- Faucet the three dots to summon the Multitasking menu.
- Faucet the Slide Over icon (the third icon).
- Choose the app you need on the full-screen app when the primary app strikes to the sting of the display.
- The preliminary app now floats on high of the second app. You are able to do this a number of instances to have quite a few Slide Over apps for simple entry by dragging and dropping extra apps onto the floating window, or utilizing the multitasking icons so as to add new floaters.
- You possibly can reposition the Slide Over window from the left to the best facet of the display by tapping and holding the black bar on the backside of the window.
To cover the Slide Over app, faucet the sides of the floating window, the three dots, or the vertical line and nudge it to the closest display edge. To deliver it again, swipe in from the display edge or simply faucet the arrow.
The Heart Window is a little bit of an anomaly and solely works within the Mail, Notes, and Messages apps in iPadOS 15. You’ll not see a fourth dot in your multitasking menu, however you may summon the Heart Window through the steps under.
- Open Mail, Notes, or Messages, holding your iPad horizontally so to view your inbox, observe record, or chat overview.
- Faucet and maintain on the mail, observe, or chat you need and select Open within the new window that seems. You too can use the outdated pinch to zoom gesture, which is quicker and doesn’t require an additional faucet.
- If you’re achieved, faucet the Shut button on the high left or use one of many multitasking icons to revert to a Full, Break up View, or Slide Over.
This iPadOS 15 unique function allows you to open a window, like in Notes, Mail, or Messages and some others that assist multitasking, and think about or select from different pages open in the identical app. These separate situations are lined up on a shelf and sit on high of the full-screen web page. On this case, you may change amongst open pages of the identical app by tapping to pick out the one you need off the shelf.
Chances are you’ll bear in mind the App Switcher from iPadOS 14. To make use of it, drag up from the underside of the iPad display to view all of the home windows and apps you’ve got open, and select amongst them. On the proper facet of the App Switcher panel, you too can view all of the home windows you’ve got positioned in Slide Over. Their slim, vertical format seems completely different than the opposite open apps so it’s simple to inform them aside.
In iPadOS 15, you need to use the identical gestures in App Switcher as with iPadOS 14: Simply drag up from the Dock so as to add to a Break up View or a Slide Over window.
Image in Image shall be acquainted to most Apple customers: It’s accessible on the Mac, the iPhone, and the iPad. It’s also a part of the slate of multitasking options included in iPadOS 15. It allows you to proceed taking part in movies or FaceTime calls whereas working in different apps.
It capabilities robotically, so long as PiP mode is enabled. Go to Settings > Basic > Image in Image and toggle on Begin PiP Robotically. The video will begin taking part in robotically in PiP mode, even over a Break up View or Slide Over web page.