A triad of Sony Alpha cameras has been added to the Sony aps-c line up: the a6100, a6400, and a6600. All three cameras are extraordinary mirrorless cameras, feature-rich, and ship wonderful picture high quality.
In case you’ve already determined the Sony a6600 is out of your attain and are attempting to determine between the Sony a6100 and the Sony a6400 , it’s a tricky alternative – they’re related and are available at nearly the identical value level.
Higher weather-resistant physique, bigger picture buffer and all-round higher video capabilities make the a6400 the higher alternative in case your price range permits.
However don’t despair – there are a number of small, but vital variations between these two immensely common mirrorless cameras.
Let’s check out what they’ve in frequent and, extra importantly, what units them aside.
Sony a6100 vs a6400: Widespread Options
The 2 cameras share
- the identical 24.2MP sensor and Exmor CMOS chip, in addition to an anti-aliasing filter and a front-end LSI part.
- the identical incredible hybrid autofocus system, which makes use of a mixture of 425 phase-detection factors and 425 contrast-detection factors. It incorporates a remarkably quick focus acquisition time of 0.02s, Actual-Time monitoring for each stills and video, and AI and machine studying expertise.
- the power to document 4K video as much as 30fps and 100Mbps, utilizing your entire width of the sensor. Each cameras have inner slow-motion recording capabilities that may do full HD as much as 120fps.
- 11fps steady taking pictures, together with AE/AF monitoring. (It goes all the way down to 8fps when the digital shutter is engaged.)
All that is to say that the efficiency of each of those cameras is nearly an identical, particularly when taking pictures nonetheless pictures. (There are a number of variations in video, which I’ll cowl later within the article.)
Different options they share:
- 180-degree tilting LCD display screen with Contact Monitoring
- the Sony E mount
- a single SD card slot (UHS-I compliant)
- a built-in intervalometer for time-lapse taking pictures
- a built-in flash (GN6, ISO 100)
- wonderful inner audio recording
- 3.5mm microphone port, permitting you to attach an exterior microphone
- the identical NP-FW50 rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack
- the newest model of Sony’s menu system
- 8 perform buttons
One factor neither digital camera has is in-body picture stabilization. You’ll should bump as much as the Sony a6600 for in-body stabilization.
Additionally, neither digital camera has an optical viewfinder. They rely as an alternative on the digital viewfinder.
Sony a6100 vs a6400: 14 Key Variations
Shockingly related or not, there are a number of key variations between the
To start with, the Sony a6100 is extra of an entry-level mannequin, whereas the Sony a6400 comfortably sits within the mid-range mannequin area.
Let’s begin off with the bodily variations.
1. Digicam Physique
Maybe probably the most noticeable distinction between these two Sony cameras proper of the field is within the digital camera physique. Each cameras have just about the identical dimensions, a tilting LCD display screen, and the identical format, however they’re made of various supplies.
The Sony a6100 is made primarily of polycarbonate, has no climate sealing, and is simply a hair lighter than the A6400 (396g).
The Sony a6400 has a extra sturdy magnesium alloy physique, primary climate sealing, and weighs in at 403g. (It’s unlikely that you simply’ll discover the 7g, however for some people, this is likely to be a big distinction.)
Relying on the lenses you utilize with the a6100 or a6400, you might also need to think about a further hand grip Sony accent, which can assist lots when you have a tendency to connect heavier zooms to your digital camera.
2. Shutter Life
The shutter lifetime of a digital camera just about determines what number of photographs your digital camera is nice for.
Sony charges the mechanical shutter lifetime of the a6100 at 100,000 clicks. The Sony a6400, alternatively, is rated for twice that, at 200,000 shutter cycles.
In fact, the shutter score isn’t a assure that you simply’ll get to that photograph rely earlier than needing shutter upkeep, nevertheless it does give an total estimate.
3. Digital Viewfinder Decision
Bodily, the viewfinder is similar on each cameras, that includes an 0.39-inch OLED panel, 0.70x magnification, and a 23mm eye-point.
With regards to decision, although, the EVF of the Sony a6100 is simply 1,440,000 dots, a bit low in a market the place the trade commonplace is often 2.4 million dots. In distinction, the Sony a6400, has a increased decision EVF of two,359,296 dots – rather more the norm.
On condition that neither digital camera has an optical viewfinder, the upper decision of the a6400 could also be is fairly vital, particularly when you’re keen on handbook focus.
That’s just about it for bodily variations. Now let’s take a look at what the 2 cameras have below the hood.
The Sony a6400 has a barely quicker processor than the Sony a6100. This provides it a deeper buffer, extra prolonged ISO capability, and section detection autofocus whereas taking pictures video. It additionally provides it a barely shorter battery life.
5. Publicity Settings
Disclaimer: All suggestions are neutral and primarily based on consumer expertise, with no bias to the merchandise or the model. The merchandise on this publish might include affiliate hyperlinks.